Mikey Hopes To Go Wild With Goals This Season

By Andy McLaren

Ellon Thistle striker Mikey Wild today admitted he hopes his goals will fire his side to their first league title in over forty years.

Strike ace Mikey scored twice in Ellon’s recent 4-3 win over local rivals Newburgh Thistle.

The 29-year-old joined the Jags seven years ago, having been signed by his manager and stepdad Kevin Kennedy.

And Mikey, who scored 36 goals during his side’s promotion to Division One in 2009, believes the father and son partnership can continue for years to come.

He said: “Playing under my stepdad is massive to me and it makes a big difference to the way I play.

“Kevin is a top guy and the way he spurs the team on means a lot to everyone involved with the club.

“We have a very young squad who are now starting to develop into special players.

“I try my best to help them along and the coaches sometimes say when I play well, it usually has an impact on how they play.”

Thistle’s only league triumph came in 1975 when they won the old Division Four league.

The Jags clinched their first cup in over thirty years in 2012 by lifting the Castle Rovers Cup.

The Aberdeenshire side only avoided relegation by three points last season.

But Mikey believes Ellon now have the quality to push onto the next level of Amateur football.

“I would say this is the strongest team we have had and we have definitely improved from last season,” said Mikey.

“The talent of teams around the Ellon area is growing but I’m never interested in trying to be the best team in the town as I just love my football.

“The rivalries are starting to become bigger which can only benefit football in the area.

“My aim is to score over 30 goals this season and hopefully that can help to get the team promoted.”

Mikey Wild opened the scoring for Ellon on 15 minutes when his audacious strike from 30 yards looped over Michael Miele.

Newburgh replied 10 minutes later when Gavin Law showed good pace and trickery to cross for Lewis Goodwin who made no mistake from 10 yards.

Half-time: 1 – 1

Greg Bettie continued to pressure the Ellon defence and expertly slotted the ball home from 15 yards to make it 2-1 to Newburgh.

Newburgh thought they had won the match when Gavin Law unleashed a powerful drive into the roof of the net on 75 minutes.

Sam Smith then scored an own goal 5 minutes later to give Ellon a lifeline.

Strike ace Wild then grabbed his second goal of the game when he reacted quickly to head the ball into an empty net on 85 minutes.

Ellon deservedly sealed all three points and a memorable comeback when Billy Dailly curled his shot past the onrushing Miele to make it 4-3 before full-time.

Full Time: 4 – 3

Sign Up Now

Sign up for email alerts to get the very latest updates and fixture news faster.