Colin’s Tyres Dickie Trophy Third Round on Saturday 28th September

Report by Andy McLaren

JS XI twins Garry and Gregg Cheyne today admitted they are excited about the clubs future following their recent 3-1 victory over St Laurence.

The duo were instrumental in helping the club survive this term following a lack of players last season.

Both Garry and Gregg have played in the same team as each other since they were 7-years-old.

The Hazlehead outfit, who reached the final of the Castle Rovers Cup last season, have made an impressive start to their campaign and sit seventh in Division Two (East).

And Gregg, who joined the club with his brother last year, believes his new-look side have the quality to challenge for their second promotion in Amateur football.

He said: “It would be a dream to achieve promotion and to also reach a cup final.

“It was hard work to get the team back fighting for success again and last season allowed the squad to get to know each other.

“Everyone is from Hazlehead Academy so we have a good team spirit at the club.

“Both myself and my brother Garry went to school with a large amount of the guys who play for JS which helped us to settle in.

“Barry Sim, who helped run the club a few years ago, is back and he has made the club much more professional.

“A lot of our old players have also returned and this has made the whole squad more determined than ever to progress through the leagues.”

JS, who formed in 2010, started the brightest and scored on 10 minutes when Ryan Stewart calmly curled the ball past Marc Milne to make it 1-0.

The Aberdeen side continued to pressure when Greg Enston’s looping shot grazed the side of the post after 32 minutes.

Stewart’s trickery caused St Laurence problems throughout the match and he showed good skill to loop the goalkeeper from 20 yards to make it 2-0 on 43 minutes.

Half-time: 2 – 0

The Laurencekirk outfit, who are currently seventh in Division Two (North), went close to reducing the deficit but Matthew Jones’ volley went inches past the post.

Aiden McDougal’s diving header then rattled the JS post before Chris Fenby’s fizzing shot crashed against the top of the crossbar on 65 minutes.

They eventually grabbed a goal back when Doug Harley’s drive was bundled over the line after 77 minutes.

But JS ensured they progressed to the fourth round of the Dickie Trophy when Stewart nodded the ball home for his second goal on 85 minutes to make it 3-1.

Full Time: 3 – 1

JS XI: Sim, Robertson, Cheyne, Tosh, Cheyne, Enston, Christie, Crighton, Mackay, Stewart, Cheyne.
Subs: Sinclair, Hollywood, Ellis, Potter, Barney.

St Laurence: Milne, R Simpson, G Simpson, Ferguson, Easton, Criggie, Harley, Jones, Fenby, Johnston, McDougal.
Subs: Hay, A Bremner, C Bremner, Donald, Gauld.